Wednesday, November 28, 2007

Life changes when you are a parent

I was thinking yesterday night this topic and this morning my hubby gave me a book on life-changing stories of everyday mothers (who determined to live life God’s way). After married for more than 8 years, I can say that both my hubby and I tend to think a like and sometimes we can even read each other’s mind.

Back to the topic. I have friends who are first time parents recently and some friends who have a few children already. Some are working and send to babysitter and some chose to be a stay at home mum. Whichever way, life changes.

Life changing pattern….
  1. Sleeping hours….. Sleep is just a luxury for some. Waking up two to three times a night for feeding or baby can’t sleep so mummy (sometimes daddy) also can’t sleep. Thank God my two angles stop night feeding at 2 months old!
  2. Eating out….. Place has to be cooling and clean. Better still is air-conditioned and less crowded.
  3. Food….. Nevermind what I eat, the quicker the better, else baby will be calling (crying).
  4. Outfit…… Not that important what I wear but baby must always look the best. Matching hat, socks, shoes, accessories…
  5. Car….. “Daddy please clean & tidy up the car, put away your books, ties, etc, this is a family car.” Baby car seat must securely placed in the car. Imagine if you have more than one baby say twins or triplets or….watch Astro Ch 733 Discovery Home and Health, and you’ll know what I’m talking about.
  6. House…… Is a place called home but with the addition is called ‘mess’. Baby cot, playpen, bouncing net, spring cot, baby clothes, diapers, bath tub, changing mat (on parents bed most of the time)….2ann, during confinement in her mother’s place, actually converted the solid granite dining table into a changing place for her baby, and full of baby clothes & diapers.
  7. No more dear…… change to daddy and mummy. Used to call each other lovingly ‘dear’ or ‘honey’ or’ sugar pie’ but now…
  8. Laundry…… Wash baby clothes separately (esp for new born) means more work.
  9. Computer Desktop…… Picture of your precious baby.
  10. More pictures……Buy the latest digital camera, take picture of baby almost every single moment. Convincing yourself, baby looks different everyday. An essential item when leaving house. Video camera for some.

The list goes on and on…less travelling (what more abroad), more time spends at home, less meeting up with friends, more chores at home, less socialize with single friends, more mingle with other mummies & daddies, less spending on yourself, more spending on the baby. Everything else is about the baby, your little bundle of joy!!!

Boy, I’m glad my both angles are a little grown up now, that also means more discipline and reasoning with them. Life always changes. It depends on us to make a more fulfilled one. It’s you who write the story….

5 comments:

Dini said...

You are right.. it is life changing but to a more exciting life. I really enjoy it and I am still called "dear" not converted to "mummy" yet..

Anonymous said...

Dini,

Your status will be changed once your daughter start to call you mummy. He he

Anonymous said...

Gosh! I got hit by all the 10 points!!!??
Somemore we move house and change job at the same period...Dini, you can relate to this as well...
No wonder I am seeing stars!!! Ha Ha Ha :p

Ann said...

Can't agree more.....

Though the car bit doesn't apply to me! Kevin's car is neater my car and even neater than the house!!

Wai Yin said...

all above - can't imagine our sg in 2 years time... all 'babies' will be running, screaming, crying... then all parents will be chasing, yelling, complaining... hahaha...